I am working on a week long photography and poetry challenge inspired by a prompt from Poets & Writers called Excavating the Mind.
Day 7 notes and observations
When Levi and I got up for our excursion, Max was waiting at the door. Seems this week of observations has already created a new pattern of behavior, something to look forward to in the morning for more than just me. A small spider’s web lit by the sun inspired today’s focus on patterns.
Still inspired by yesterday’s exploration of light and shadow, I let the light show me where to observe. I followed the light around and took pictures of what it touched.
Levi and Max followed me past the shed to an overgrown area I don’t normally tromp around in and I captured this beautiful image of Levi.
I decided to change direction and try seeing things in a new way, so I climbed up the stairs and took some pictures looking down at things.
- patterns in nature –repetitions with slight variance
- each unique but not unique
- the bird sounds from the porch sound like volleys, like a game of table tennis
- that bird just changed its song, its saying something different
- To really experience a new perspective, I might need to climb up on the roof
- seeing through to the new, creating new perspectives
There you have it, Day 7’s pictures and observations.
I have my collection: Now what? I took hundreds of pictures this last week. Before I dive into attempting the first draft of my poem, I’m going to go back to the very first image and spend time with each one in sequence, jotting down anything and everything that comes to mind. Tomorrow, I will attempt a few drafts of poems that put the whole experience together. On Sunday, I will attempt a singular, somewhat finalized poem of my excavated mind.