I entered the Writer-In-Motion Challenge hoping to get some big break-through information from a professional editor. I wanted that sword that would cut down rejection and get me to YES!
Truth is, I got more than that. I got, “Wow, Maria, the voice in this is amazing!”
Voice. That magical, unteachable thing. That how do I get it, thing!
And then I got– Now take out a lot of it. You have to choose.
The fun part is, it made sense. It was not that hard to choose what to keep. I even asked my mom who never reads my blog and she and I agreed on the way to cut, but she still wanted the first one (blockade).
This story was huge. It could be a novel. I over-wrote, over-double-wrote, for the first time. I am usually concise in my writing, like the lyricist I am, but for some reason this image created a real idea on so many levels that I care about.
The original word-count cut wasn’t easy, but it was a great exercise and I think the final cuts I made, were personal experiments to see how people would react. I chopped in unnatural ways and my readers did not find them interesting or experimental. They were awkward. Something to think about for future awkward characters. I know how to make a reader uncomfortable.
Overall, I think I learned that having to prune so many words, I was able to get to what was necessary to the story.
Thank you again to my critique partners and editor for their time. And thank you Writer-in-Motion for the experience.